Sunday, October 09, 2005

further news

i believe i left off with acquiring Peanut in june... so now i will try to remember what has happened in my life since june.

apparently nothing happened to me in july, because i do not seem to remember july. it must have sucked.

in august i celebrated my 5th anniversary. well, "celebrated" is a bit of an amplification. for the fourth year in a row, we both forgot it was our anniversary until about 3 days later. i think this is a good sign. i have no reason to think that. i just want to. anyway, 5 years with the same person and i strongly anticipate many more years of anniversaries to forget.

also in august, i jumped out of a perfectly good airplane... i got to wear a totally hot jumpsuit (hey, is that where that term comes from?) that was black and shiny with hot pink leopard print on my butt. i know that "hot pink" is a very seventh grade way to describe a color, but that is truly the only accurate description. a more sophisticated "fuschia" or "magenta" would be just too forgiving for this situation. anyway, i was very Van Halen that day. people were jealous, i am sure of it. if anyone who is reading this ever finds themselves in a position to slip into a sexy jumpsuit and jump out of an airplane, i would highly recommend it. it is probably the coolest thing anyone could ever do. it's pretty much my favorite thing. (sorry...napoleon dynamite tangent) i am a little worried now, though, that i have exhausted my fun and excitement capacity. once you have jumped out of the sky and lived to tell about it, what is really left to do? some people say "bungee jump!" those people are stupid. or at the very least, don't understand me. there are specific criteria for fun/adventure that must be met, and if those criteria are not met, it's just risky and dumb. for example: it must be thrilling and slightly dangerous, but if anything goes wrong, death must be guaranteed. i will not be taking any risks which threaten the possibility of severe pain or injury. i don't ever want to be in so much pain that my body loses the ability to recognize pain. this does not strike me as a worthy cause. if i die during some thrilling adventure, i won't even know it, no harm, no foul. hence, the skydiving trip. i jumped out of a plane from 13,000 feet. any failure at all pretty much promises death on impact, if not before. i also enjoy the ripcord rides. again...if i am released from that thing at any point along the way. splat. done. no pain, no worries, no rehabilitation or feeding tubes. on the other hand, there have been bungee malfunctions that have resulted in injury but not death. this does not interest me. so if anyone has any suggestions for new adventures that are either thrilling or fatal, let me know...



^ this is me with my tandem skydive instructor ^

the weekend of the skydive, my parents came to town. when they learned that i was going to jump from a plane for no good reason, their response stunned me. i thought that they would say someting like "oh shelly, don't be stupid!" or "of course, you always have to be doing SOMETHING". but that was not their response at all. they actually said "well, if you are going to do that we are going to be there to watch." so they were. it was so cool. even my brother came. for those who don't know me...it's weird for my brother and i to EVER be in the same place. ESPECIALLY by his choice. but my price for having my family there to watch me plunge through the clouds was that the next day we had to take family photos. never allow yourself to be roped into something like this if you can possibly avoid it. here is one of the approximately 248 photos i had to smile for that day. (this is NOT an exaggeration.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

Ahh....one of my favorite families. I love it. I got to hear about the skydiving because I saw your folks this summer too! And I partied with your brother. Weird. I think you are terrific. It is even better that you experienced this amazing trip together, you and Jan. Awesome. I need to have Tim jump from an airplane with me.

10:16 AM, October 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home