Friday, November 16, 2007

that's a lot of curly-swirlies




today i had to google "cursive alphabet". of course i am a little embarrassed about this, but i tend to have a profound need to confess things that embarrass me. i was standing behind the counter at the coffee house, holding a dry erase marker when a thought passed through: "i wonder if i remember how to make all of the letters of the english alphabet in upper case cursive." some of them are kind of weird, (hello, capital Q) so i wasn't sure i remembered all of them. as humiliating as it is to have to say it, i did not remember. and as soon as i saw the graphics (on an education site designed to teach 8-year-olds) i discovered that i might not even be capable of making those shapes. i am going to try again, but it's not looking good so far. before my google search, it was the H and the Q that eluded me. then i did the search and realized that my X and F were both wrong. there are so many swirlies on these stupid letters. looks kind of dumb, really. that's probably why real people don't actually follow the rules of proper penpersonship.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is funny, only because my friends and I were sitting in Jack Astors on Friday night, and we were trying to figure out the cursive Q too!!!! And now we are all desperately trying to find worksheets. Oh the joys of student teaching..... If you want I will forward you the worksheets when we find them.

So don't worry you are not the only one who at this moment in time who is trawling the internet looking for the elusive cursive Q.

Joa

9:27 AM, November 18, 2007  
Blogger Carm said...

Hee Hee. You are too funny. Sometimes I find I need to write things on a chalkboard and I use my own unique brand of print/cursive Carmyn-esque letter design. I think it works. Of course I can still remember the day my second grade teacher saw me filling out some forms as a high schooler and tsk tsked me regarding the way I grip my pen and said something to the effect that she never could straighten "that mess" out... hmmmm.....

2:52 PM, November 18, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home