Monday, October 10, 2005

incidentals

incidentally,
i got an email from sara today. sara being the only person who reads this and the person who told me to do it in the first place. she tried to give me some helpful hints on making my blog more interesting (i initiated this by telling her that my blog is boring and hers is way better; i don't want anyone thinking that sara just emailed me to say "hey, shel, you have a boring-ass blog!" although if she thought so, the sara i remember is definitely the kind of person who would do this. exhibit A:amanda and the trapper keeper. but i digress.) as i was saying, sara is trying to help me. and this is very nice of her. but she wrote the email in an indecipherable mathematical language that made my eyeballs itch and i think i had an aneurysm when i tried to understand it. my friend robby (a computer geek) tells me that i have a lot of
"I-D-10-T" computer problems. duh. anyway, if miracles abound in the near future, my sidebar extras should be operational right after gay marriage is recognized in Tennessee and the baby jesus comes back to save us from bird flu.

incidentally,
of all the toys and grown-up playthings in all of the world, my very favorite contraption of all time and the thing that i want more than anything else EVER is the LeapFrog talking globe. this thing freakin rocks! it has so many different features and games and challenges. i can sit for hours with the little stylus-type pen and tap tap tap away, trying eversodiligently to beat my last score or current record. "FIND NEPAL" says the magical voice coming from inside the globe. "NOW FIND THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC" tap tap tap. i am so fast! it's so damn fun! but sadly i do not own the leapfrog talking globe. i just have to find friends who are children and try to play it at their house. i discovered this thing while babysitting a 9-year-old and his baby sister. at the time i worked at a montessori school and it did not take me long to learn that the three year olds in that school had a better grasp of world geography than most adults i know. for real. ever been to a montessori school? the kids who didn't have the ability to pronounce the names of the countries could still recognize them by their shape and the sound when adults pronounce them. it's amazing. and a little freakish. anyway, i have always thought myself to have some understanding of world geography. at least slightly more than the average u.s. american. (of course, the fact that i know that the middle east is not a continent pretty much sets me ahead of the game.) anyway again, i saw this fantastic contraption at the miller home and i just had to give it a whirl. i had to know just how little i do know of geography. i was hooked immediately. it is way more fun than any other child's toy i have found myself drawn to. i MUST have one. but they cost like 120 dollars. i can't justify buying that for myself. how would i explain that? and i thought of asking for it for christmas, but my parents have never been the types to buy things for me that are not age-appropriate. they would think that my desire for a talking globe designed for grade-schoolers makes me even weirder than they already knew. they really hate discovering further evidence of my strangeness. they just want to buy me things like bed sheets, clothing and gift certificates...like normal people want. but they love me. and i have not exactly made that the easiest thing to do. and i love them. and now that they have abandoned me, they buy me things like plane tickets. good people, my parents. good fun, the leap frog talking globe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home