Tuesday, December 19, 2006

why don't you...

i may have mentioned a blossoming anger management problem... the first time i tried to write this post, i accidentally deleted the whole thing and was unable to retrieve it. i got a little irritated and may or may not have scratched at the keyboard a bit. it is possible that my keyboard no longer has a "4" button or an "F4" button. i have no idea what the F4 button does and i am sure i have never used it, but i will miss the little bugger. and the "4"... well i am just going to have to work something out. it is also the dollar sign! i need the dollar sign. perhaps yoga or a relaxation class... or a new computer with more resilient buttons.

anyway... what i was saying when i was so rudely interrupted by deletion and a temper tantrum....

part 4...

when i am standing behind a counter or table-side with my little pen in hand saying things like: "what can i get for you?" or "are you ready to order?" there is a good reason for that. i am offering my services to you at that time and displaying my willingness to comply with your request, however general or particular. when i say these things it is an invitation to utilize my fetching and building skills. we are in this thing together and your wishes are absolutely my commands. i try to suggest all of these things to you with my words and body language. i am open, willing! i have offered no resistence toward you or rejection of my role in this interaction. in fact i am intimately familiar with the fact that our entire relationship, the only reason you are going to talk to me, is based on what i am about to do for you. and then it will end. that's part of the deal. that's what i do and i have just offered to do it.

so why in the name of all that is good and decent... why for the love of god, would you begin your part of the conversation by saying: "why don't you give me..." what? what the hell? why don't i? because you haven't asked me to yet! i didn't have a chance!! please let me try first, don't just leap to the assumption that i am going to be uncooperative! why don't i?? what does this mean? do you mean why didn't i? why haven't i? why won't i? i will i will! give me a chance!!

we've been through this kind of thing before, people, i am no mind-reader. i can't know what you want for sure until you tell me and i will never know if you start your order by accusing me of failing you in some way. so, please just tell me what you want. don't ask me questions that don't have answers. it is not as though you have asked me repeatedly and i continue to refuse to serve you. but that would make sense, at least. if you walk in to a restaurant every day and ask for a sandwich and you are consistently denied said sandwich, it would be reasonable to eventually begin your contact with the stubborn server by saying "why don't you give me a sandwich?" for added effect: "why don't you EVER give me a sandwich?" but since this type of situation has to be extremely rare, so ought to be the question "why don't you give me...?"

so, good friends, why don't you give me a break and order what you want, the way that you want it, the first time, with no accusations or assumptions. i will do my part if you will do yours and we can all live together in relative harmony. but why don't you take this drink "to go"...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home