Wednesday, December 20, 2006

brain appendices

...re-MEM-ber WHEN you RAN away and I got on my knees and begged you not to leave be-CAUSE i'd go ber-SERK? WELL. you LEFT me AN-yhow and then the days got WORSE and worse and now you SEE i've gone com-PLETE-ly out of my mind. AND. they're-coming-to-take-me-away-ha-ha, they're-coming-to-take-me-away-ho-ho-he-he-ha-ha, to the funny farm...



my brain has little tiny pockets, little hollow divets that are positioned perfectly to catch and retain fragments of ridiculous information. it is entirely possible that my brain is made up primarily of these divets and little else. in one of these little pita pockets i retain the lyrics to a song called "they're coming to take me away". when i was 12 years old, my friend becky's parents had a juke box in their basement...they might still, but it has no impact on my life anymore...and on this box of juke was this weird ass song that becky and i loved. LOVED loved. we listened over and over and over until the lyrics festered their way into one of my information cells and became trapped there permanently. for the last 20 years, this globule of information has periodically erupted from its den and demanded temporary release. so i find myself innocently trying to meander my way through my life, attempting to appear as normal as possible, presenting subtly and blending with my peers when randomly, right out of my mouth comes this chant-like blather of nonsense. "...and i'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away..." it just comes out. and i think it is safe to assume (and has generally been the case) that most people have no idea what i am saying or doing or why i know this strange little rhythmic poem. it just has to come out sometimes. and once it does... it's playing, on a loop, in my head for days and days. nearly enough to make a girl wonder if they actually should come and take me away.

i think sudden impromptu recitals of stagnant information is just my brain's mechanism to avoid appendicitis. when too many words and sounds get trapped in my tiny brain appendices, the environment may become hostile and dangerous. so rather than risking a brain sewage implosion, these little pockets routinely cleanse themselves and keep things tidy. and this is why i sometimes burst into song. it is not my fault, it is just my brain trying to keep itself healthy. there may be some similar but more scientific explanations for particular behaviors listed in the DSM-IV. but i am tired of looking for myself and my friends in the DSM.... that's a tired game. the new game is to make weird-ass behaviors appear normal to anyone who is willing to go on a little word journey with me.

i know you want to know the song.... google it, you know you want to. or you could just take a glance at becky's 8th grade yearbook... i wrote the lyrics to the entire song on a page in there. brain flushing. it's important.

1 Comments:

Blogger Carm said...

I actually KNOW that song and thank you very much... now it's playing in MY head!

Random bits of knowledge... the first pet in the White House? A canary ... it belonged to Thomas Jefferson. That seems to be the main thing I can recall from my first semester of US History in college. And I have a brain that is like a magnet for random ridiculous things.... just this week a new bit stuck. Records, also known as "platters" were once referred to as "Berliners."

3:37 PM, December 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home